Next To You Next To You

Love it!

Great melody. Your midi translation sounds realistic.

Depending on the result you're going for, I would suggest maybe lowering the volume of the piano. The distorted sound really adds to it though! I say throw on an overdrive with a tad bit of distortion, just a TINY bit. If you were to add in some long violin articulations behind the piano would also help with giving a bit of lift.

Novatium responds:

I'm glad you loved it
Thanks for your suggestions, I will take them into account in the future.
Greetings.

(Nothing) In Return (Nothing) In Return

this is really interesting sound design man, keep at it!

CCHands responds:

Thanks bud!

Blank Banshee - Dreamcast Blank Banshee - Dreamcast

very nice atmosphere in this one. clearly mixed. 5 stars by NG standards.

BlankBott responds:

Thanks for your Review! Means a lot! (:

B0UNC3 - Paradise on E[Fi B0UNC3 - Paradise on E[Fi

awesome song.

Tidal Forces (NG Mix) Tidal Forces (NG Mix)

I hear some slight technicalities...

but this is NG and here, in this place, people are less concerned with quality of mixing and mastering and more with the melody, so my grading above me will reflect that xD...

however, I wanna be helpful so here are my tips.

1. your bassline.

you've got the essential patterns down but there's some slight problems with clarity you should look out for. I'm gonna lay them out in this post though so no worries. your bassline itself is too wide, although this might sound like a good idea, it's actually not a good mixing practice and can muddy up the mix, causing you to lose focus on important aspects of the song. there's no real "rules" for a proper bassline but I can give you some guidelines on how I do mine.

sub bass - this should be a sine wave oscillator with a LP filter cutoff to roughly 150Hz - 300Hz. it shouldn't be panned or stereo separated at all. this signal should be completely mono and should peak at *roughly* -5 db but keep in mind that these numbers are all estimates. you don't have to but I do like to sidechain my sub bass to my kick, just to ensure you don't have conflicting low frequencies going at once (which can muddy up the mix)

mid bass - this is, imo, the most important of the three bassline layers because it is the one that gives the most drive. you should also have this one be pretty mono, so yeah no panning it. and it should be pretty powerful sounding, with a rolling pattern in this style of music you're going for. HP filter should be applied to it so the lower frequencies don't mess with your sub bass. keep in mind that conflicting frequencies are a BAD thing to have in a given mix. especially in the lower end. so keeping things separated with the eq is a good idea.

high bass - this one is the most fun imo cause you can do whatever you want with this one practically, imagination really comes into play with this bass. HP filer should be applied, same as the mid bass but with a higher cutoff value. some velocity edits on the cutoff are helpful as well to make the bass more "lively" and stand out against the other two basses more. stereo separation shold be a about mid way on this one. you want it to sound fat but you DON'T want it to mess with your other sounds so getting the right amount of width is highly important.

2. levels.... watch those limiters dude, not sure what it was I was hearing in this track but a lot of the sounds were sounding fuzzy, and if I were to take a guess I'd say it was cause you had too much compression taking place. the way I like to think of it, your kick should stand out from the rest of the mix so it should be the LOUDEST thing in your track besides maybe a lead instrument or vocals. bassline is debatable but your sub bass should be loud enough to stand over the other elements. it shouldn't have to fight its way to the top, that's why you turn everything else down. but really, it's all relative. every mixing job is different so you really just gotta play it by ear and keep developing your taste. eventually you'll pick up on what sounds what way and you can then make better choices in the mixing process.

3. EQ - too many highs going at once. this mix is kinda shrill and harsh, many of the highs are difficult to focus on because of all the mids that are fighting over each other for a place at the top. the way I like to think of eq... here is my analogy....

so you've got a box (audio spectrum). you have items(sounds) that you fit in the box, but you only have so much room. eventually you're gonna run out fo space. and this will result in everything getting stuffed together. sooooooo in order to make more room for thing, cut away the unneeded frequencies from stuff you won't be using. so for example you put a HP filter on a bass so it doesn't clash with your sub. or you use stereo separation to make some items stand out more. (btw, more stereo separation results in a louder sound, so just keep that in mind when working with levels)

4. reverb. lower it. you had way too much in this track. remember, a clear mix is the goal in mind here ;)

no more space left...

Sift - Fiji + Alias Pharow Sift - Fiji + Alias Pharow

sweetness

sounds great, excellent job both of you. why you uploadn' dis shit here?

Possibly my last work. [GrayZ] Possibly my last work. [GrayZ]

the worst thing any artist can do...

...is stop.

Seriously, I've known too many people who gave up because they thought they wouldn't improve and then of course, they didnt. I seriously beg you don't join them.

listening to this, I think that you actually have something going here. trust me I've heard worse by far. the melody itself is very catchy I think, with some tweaking, you could get something very good out of this.

firstly, turn down the high frequencies. I had to turn down the volum when listening because they were boosted too much. but this is an easy fix and shouldn't be much trouble.

You need a more prominent bassline in your track. something deep. I loved the catchy melody and was expecting to get hit by something big but instead it continued to play the higher stuff. again though, this shouldn't be too much trouble. If you have a hard time with getting the levels right then be rest assured with practice you WILL get better. stopping, however, will get you nowhere and I'm surprised I'm the first one to review this because it's very sad to see a melody like that get voted down like this one has.

one thing I try to do with my melodies to add more variation is to have it play back different ways as the song repeats. so for example with your piano, have it play the firs time then on the second run have it do something slightly different yet interesting, such as go up and octave or change the notation a bit. or both.

all in all I don't think you should quit. I ALSO think that you should move on from NG though because the voting system is so horrendous and the community is terrible. the fact that this got no reviews till now and that people gave it a 2.81 out of 5 just shows that people on this site are more concerned with getting their songs to the top then on being constructive and helpful.

so I will gve my scores:

melody: 9/10. could do with some more variation but it's really very catchy and with some work could be very good.

mixing: 5/10. this is something that everyone learns through practice though. it took me like 2 out of the 3 years I've been producing to finally get mixing down. watch those highs.

orchestration/structure: 7/10. put in a nice fat BASSLINE I'm telling you :P

final verdict: 7/10. don't quit just because the NG community sucks at being a community. or because you think you won't improve if you keep at it. imo the people on here don't care (it simply shows, I mean.....SERIOUSLY? not even 3/5?) and you should be the judge of your own music.

btw if you need tips on mixing and/or orchestration just add me on msn if you want, mine's jdanowski@rcn.com

GrayZ responds:

Thanks so much man (: The whole thing was just rushed just to tell people i was quitting and stuff, jesse said he's going to devote alot of time teaching me through the summer though so I might be back hehe.

Thanks so much john :)

[Kieda] Entity [Prev] [Kieda] Entity [Prev]

lol nice intro :P

sounds like paragonx9's chaoz fantasy mixed with something I'd write lol.

sorry just had to say that, good work regardless.

Kieda responds:

Well the stuff I do is quite inspired by you 2 and some others... (paragonx9 mostly),

Thanks =]

[Fiji] Complexities [Fiji] Complexities

Glad to see you made the top 5 :D

This shit is great, you've really come such a long way.

I know you've spent a lot of time on this and put in a lot of hard work so I would have demanded you make top 5....oh wait lol.

Regardless, I really like this track. Kinda creepy how all the recordings are about people dying lol.

keep it up, you still owe me that collab :P

-TC-

MrFijiWiji responds:

i do owe u one haha. well get on that soon :P and lolololol yes its about god and dying, haha.

Powrffs Powrffs

This is proof...

that NG's votiing system is horrendous.

thousands of good tracks get burried and voted down and never seen again, and WHAT do we see on the top 20 of all time? This?

This on #4?

and "Quest of the Manwhore" on #1?

W. T. F.

Feddey, I will review your track. I'm sorry if I seem like a douche right now but I'm mostly mad at the people running this site, who seem to be under the --impression-- that they are actually doing a good job. People can spam at me all they want, being the NG fanboys that they are, but regardless I will speak my opinion fairly and you can either take it or leave it.

Your track is, from my perspective, not very impressive. I am not trying to be insulting I am merely saying I would rather listen to music and not something that sounds like you farted at the microphone.

When I listen to --music-- I expect some kind of melody to be present. This, to me anyway, does not sound like you put in any effort towards to achieving such a thing. Unless you count the margin of --notes-- ranging from 0:00 to 0:02.

I am asked countless times by people on youtube to listen and critique work they have created. Last night I was handed over 7 submissions to hear out. And even though some of them were less than impressive, I could still tell that they tried. they put real effort in and they spent time to achieve their results. and because of their efforts they were awarded with perhaps 10, 20 views on youtube tops. This is unfair to them and does them an injustice.

This is not your fault. In my opinion I feel that you did nothing wrong here. You submitted your mp3 which, frankly, I don't like and I would have expected to go down with MrFijiWiji's submission "Complexities."

Except that his song was a very well done piece and probably deserved to be featured on Best of the Week, if not the spot we currently see is held by "Quest of the Manwhore ."

I could list countless examples of people who get bombed within seconds of submitting their tracks but that would likely take up all of my remaining characters, which could be better spent given you insight as to how you could have actually made this track worth my time.

Sir, I will now tell you what score, in my opinion, I think this submission is worth.

Two.

My reasons are as follows.

1. It does not sound like music to me.
2. It lacks originality. Am I to be under the impression that you made your own presets?
3. because it's my opinion and I can. you are free to take it as you please. ;)

I have, by this point, lost nearly all faith in NGs community and staff. In my opinion, the fact that this is an ongoing issue, that nothing has/is/will be done (to the best of my knowledge), and that there is a lack of respect towards most users outside of a certain "inner circle" shows that the site as a whole is going in a bad direction.

My recommendation?

Feddey I think that you should watch some tutorials and learn basic structure of a track, possibly learn the patterns of various chords etc and overall put more effort into your work before submitting it to places like NG or other. It will broaden your horizons and make you a better artist. I am not saying this to be mean I am simply giving you a guide that I honestly, truly think will help you.

Tom, please more focus on the audio portal. This should be a place for artists to learn from each other and grow and overall should be a place I would WANT to put my music.

I am disgusted. And if things don't start to get better...

If this continues to be an issue...

If you show no sign that you care for the quality of your own creation (and this applies to everyone)...

then then I will leave and request that everyone else here do the same.

I have said my word. youtube is waiting for me.

cya ;)

-TC-

Feddey responds:

I don't understand why this submission made it to the front page. If you would have read my description of the song you also could have noticed that this song was the first one I ever made. And yes, none of the sounds in the song was made by me. Every sound was gotten from the example sounds in FL studio. Again, me too don't understand why the F this song made it to the front page.

BTW You just wasted fifteen minutes on your life by reviewing my crappy ass first song ever. Why?
1: It was my first song ever, uploaded for fun.
2: NONE will ever read your comment
3: You could have summarized the whole comment into two words: LOL WTF

In addition, I don't think the NG staff pick out the songs that appears on the front page. This must be done by the computers or some kind of random sh*t picker.

But I thank you for using your time.
And instead of picking on me for this crappy song, listen to my other submissions.

- Feddey